Fitter and Faster – Francis ready for 2016

first_imgJamaica’s 400m champion Javon Francis feels he is at his strongest and fastest this year as he hopes to challenge for a medal at the Olympic Games in Rio, Brazil this summer.The 21-year-old quarter-miler opened his season on January 23, with a 46.19 run at the inaugural McKenley/Wint Track and Field Classic at his alma mater Calabar High School in Kingston, cruising home well ahead of the chasing pack.”It was the first time I had opened up so fast, usually I open at the Camperdown Classic (held in February) so I am very pleased with my time,” said Francis, who believes he is now stronger than he was last season when he ran a personal best 44.50.After winning the national championships later that month in 44.70, expectations were high that Francis would have been among the medal contenders at the IAAF World Championships in Beijing, China. He was, however, eliminated in the semi-finals having run 44.77 to be 12th fastest overall. He qualified for the semi-finals with a creditable run of 44.83.Despite some disappointment from his fans, Francis was quite pleased with his performance.At the national championships Francis suffered a groin injury during the 400m finals, and it prevented him from training for three to four weeks. He managed to get fit in time for Beijing, but he was not back at his best.”I never expected to run very fast because I was coming off an injury, so I was very pleased with my performance although I didn’t get a medal, but I benefited from the experience,” said the runner, who would later lead Jamaica to a fourth-place finish in the mile relay with a blistering 43.5-second anchor leg.”Last year people were saying I could go for the national record, but in my mind I always say records come and records go. Every time I go out to perform I go to win a medal,” Francis said.last_img read more

Mortgage Master Opens New Virginia Location

first_img Share August 13, 2013 421 Views Agents & Brokers Attorneys & Title Companies Company News Investors Lenders & Servicers Processing Service Providers 2013-08-13 Tory Barringer “”Mortgage Master””:http://www.mortgagemaster.com/corporate/, a super-regional mortgage bank and one of the country’s largest privately owned mortgage companies, announced the opening of a new retail branch location in Northern Virginia.[IMAGE]Based in Vienna, the new branch will cover communities in and around Fairfax and Loudon counties as well as the Washington, D.C., metro market.””The opening of our newest retail branch in Vienna, Virginia combined with our significant presence in Maryland is another step in expanding our successful model throughout the important Mid-Atlantic region,”” [COLUMN_BREAK]said Mortgage Master president Paul Anastos. “”As a top five independent mortgage lender in the U.S., we have the scale and 25 years of experience to offer borrowers very competitive rates, best in class service and advice they can trust when making one of the largest financial decisions to purchase or refinance a home.””Susan Blackmore will oversee the new location as branch manager, taking responsibility for building relationships with real estate agents, accountants, lawyers, and other referral partners to provide borrowers with low rates and quality service. Blackmore joins the company with more than 30 years of mortgage banking experience as a regional loan originator, underwriter, and sales manager. Most recently, she was the mid-Atlantic mortgage sales manager at HSBC, where she managed originators in Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and the District of Columbia. “”We are very pleased to have someone of Susan Blackmore’s experience and character joins Mortgage Master. Susan’s mortgage industry knowledge as well as her sales management and leadership skills are a tremendous asset to our already impressive team,”” Anastos said.center_img in Data, Government, Origination, Secondary Market, Servicing Mortgage Master Opens New Virginia Locationlast_img read more

Rep Rendon applauds House approval of bill to reopen Baldwin prison create

first_img Measure authorizes privately-operated prison in Lake CountyA bill was approved by the Michigan House this week to permit the reopening of Lake County’s Baldwin prison, announced state Rep. Bruce Rendon.In a county where jobs can be hard to find, Rep. Rendon said he celebrates the opportunity to reestablish this facility and create approximately 150 career opportunities for Michiganders.“The Baldwin facility can safely and effectively house inmates,” said Rep. Rendon, R-Lake City. “Reopening this local employer will result in significant economic influence to the people of Lake County and surrounding areas.”House Bill 4467—sponsored by Rep. Jon Bumstead and co-sponsored by Rep. Rendon—allows a privately-run prison to house inmates of any security level because the Michigan Department of Corrections has determined that the Baldwin facility can handle prisoners without issue.“Opening the facility after 10 years of inactivity would make use of currently underutilized infrastructure and create employment and economic growth that this community deserves,” said Rep. Rendon.The bill will be considered further by the Senate. 07May Rep. Rendon applauds House approval of bill to reopen Baldwin prison, create jobs Categories: Rendon Newslast_img read more

Rep Hornberger Macomb St Clair counties benefit from 2017 House action

first_img Categories: Hornberger News,News ####(Rep. Pamela Hornberger of Chesterfield Township represents the 32nd District in the Michigan House.) 28Dec Rep. Hornberger: Macomb, St. Clair counties benefit from 2017 House actioncenter_img My first year in the Michigan House was eventful and productive, with significant progress made to improve the quality of life for residents of Macomb and St. Clair counties.We increased funding for schools and expanded opportunities for students to get involved with skilled trades and other exciting career opportunities. We secured money to fight pollution, help fix the Fraser sinkhole and improve mental health services in the region. Our work continues to uphold the Second Amendment and to protect our children, including the unborn.Here is a brief look at some of the major initiatives I supported and sponsored in 2017:The budget for the current government year is fiscally conservative, yet it emphasizes our priorities with record funding for K-12 schools and road repairs.We emphasized skilled trades training to help match students and workers with in-demand jobs. Recently approved legislation will expose students to more career options while they are still in high school, because the pathway to success doesn’t always travel through a four-year college.Our Legislature recently approved funding to monitor, test and provide technical assistance at sites where PFAS contaminates groundwater – including the Clinton River and Lake St. Clair. The chemical contaminant has been used in fire suppressants, carpeting, food wrappers and other consumer products.We improved services for military veterans with increased funding for staffing and training in veterans homes.I was a main sponsor in a legislative package to allow law-abiding citizens to carry concealed pistols without a permit. The bills were approved by the House and are awaiting action in the Senate.The House approved my legislation to ensure unborn children are considered victims if they are hurt, killed or placed in danger during the commission of a felony.I am the sponsor of legislation offering Michigan foster children much-needed stability. It was overwhelmingly approved this month by the House and is pending in the Senate. The package spells out the rights all foster children should expect to receive in Michigan.My legislation to require all forensic interviews conducted with children involved in abuse and neglect cases be recorded on video is pending in our House Judiciary Committee. The measure will improve accuracy and reduce the need for repeated interviews.Your input is crucial to shaping legislation in Lansing for 2018 and beyond. My office may be reached by calling 517-373-8931 or via email at PamelaHornberger@house.mi.gov.last_img read more

Howrylak to insurers mental health is as important as physical health

first_img13Jun Howrylak to insurers: mental health is as important as physical health State Rep. Martin Howrylak today introduced a measure preventing insurers from discriminating between coverage provided for mental illness and physical illness.His proposal will amend the Nonprofit Health Care Corporation Reform Act and the Insurance Code Act to require insurers to offer the same coverage for mental health services as traditional medical care.“There should be no question about the need to fully, consistently and adequately care for those in need of mental health services,” said Howrylak, of Troy. “I want to recognize the importance of removing the stigma behind mental illness, improving access to care and creating an atmosphere where people who are struggling feel comfortable seeking treatment and talking about their condition.”The bill comes in the wake of the House bipartisan mental health task force, named for its commitment to community, access, resources, education and safety. Task force members traveled throughout the state to listen to mental health experts, families, law enforcement professionals, addiction specialists and more. The group compiled a report containing recommendations about how to improve Michigan’s broken health care system.“Insurance coverage should never be the thing that prevents an individual from seeking mental health care,” Howrlak said. “Caring for the mind is as important as caring for the body and I have so much respect for those who seek out mental health care, and for the many professionals who have dedicated their careers to helping those in need.”Other states such as Ohio, Indiana and Illinois have already successfully implemented similar mental health parity legislation.Rep. Howrylak encourages any questions about this legislation to be directed to him at MartinHowrylak@house.MI.gov or (517) 373-1783.House Bills 6190 and 6192 were referred to the House Health Policy Committee.### Categories: Howrylak Newscenter_img Tags: CARES, CARES Task Force, Health Policy, insurance, Mental Health Care last_img read more

Fred Graver Discovery Communications has hired the

first_imgFred GraverDiscovery Communications has hired the global head of TV at social media service Twitter, Fred Graver.The industry veteran will become senior VP of digital content and social for Discovery Digital, the division that Karen Leever oversees.Graver will oversee Discovery’s digital networks teams across the US, and report to Discovery’s executive VP and general manager of digital media, Leever. He will be based in New York.Graver’s time at Twitter saw him build the site’s US television business as head of TV. He then became global head of TV creative, where he built a global television business.In the latter post, he built and managed programmes in Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands.This included global engagement strategies for The Voice in twelve territories and Big Brother in six.Before Twitter, he was EVP of programming at Travel Channel and SVP at MTV Networks (now Viacom Media Networks).Leever said Graver “brings with him a wealth of experience and a passion for the Discovery brands”.“As a creative visionary, he is perfectly suited to drive our networks’ digital and social strategies forward as we continue to pursue our goal of creating iconic Discovery content for audiences across all platforms,” he added.Leever was hired from satcaster DirecTV in October 2016 to lead Discovery’s digital media activities.Since then, executives such as The Huffington Post’s Nathan Browen and former E! Entertainment president Suzanne Kolb have joined Discovery’s digital division.“The Discovery brands speak directly to every meaningful group on the internet, through authentic, real, and hugely entertaining programming,” said Graver. “The creative teams here are the best in the business, both on air and on digital, and I look forward to working with them. It will be a thrill and a challenge to drive new audiences on every platform and device.”Twitter, meanwhile, this year has launched a 24/7 live video feed, and has seen various networks using its platform as a launch pad for new series.Others such as Facebook, Snapchat and YouTube have been making significant moves in content this year, as digital companies attempt to gain a piece of the video content market.last_img read more

Disneyowned Marvel Studios has unveiled more deta

first_imgDisney-owned Marvel Studios has unveiled more details about its forthcoming slate of movies and TV series, which will be more integrated than ever before and will form part of the slate for upcoming streaming service Disney+.The Mouse House-backed Marvel Studios revealed the so-called ‘Phase Four’ stage of its Marvel Cinematic Universe over the weekend, which will include a raft of movies and Disney+ series.The shows for streamer Disney+, which is set to launch in November, will include storylines and context that will then be referenced in movies.New shows include Marvel Cinematic Universe’s first animated project, What If…?, which will debut on Disney+ in the summer of 2021. Actors from existing Marvel shows will feature in the series, which will explore a series of alternative realities.Also on the slate is Jeremy Renner-fronted Hawkeye, which will debut in the autumn of 2021 and again refers to the character’s experiences in the recent Avengers: Endgame movie.Other Disney+ series include Falcon and the Winter Soldier, which will become available in autumn next year and also follows on from events in the recent Avengers movie, along with WandaVision. The latter will provide further context for movie Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, which will premiere in May 2021, while Tom Hiddleston-fronted series Loki will debut on Disney+ at the same time.The shows come five months after Netflix axed the last of its remaining Marvel titles on its platform, The Punisher and Jessica Jones. That came after a months-long cull of Marvel titles, which included cancellations of Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Daredevil.Netflix had previously inked a pact with the Disney company in 2013, but that was ended as the Mouse House prepared to launch Disney+.last_img read more