Owlwood Estate, owned by famous and notorious, sells for $88M

first_imgShare via Shortlink TagsLA luxury real estateOwlwood Estaterobert shapirowoodbridge group Robert Shapiro, Tony Curtis and Sonny & Cher with Owlwood Estate (Getty, The Viewpoint Collection)A Holmby Hills estate that asked $180 million when Ponzi schemer Robert Shapiro owned it has sold for about half that amount.Owlwood Estate, a 10-acre property that includes a 12,000-square-foot mansion, sold for $88 million to Calch Urban Investments, a Chicago-based LLC, Variety reported. The publication did not identify the true buyer, except to say it was a billionaire.The off-market deal for the three-parcel property at 141 South Carolwood Drive closed just before the new year, according to the report. Compass’ Tomer Fridman, Sally Forster Jones and Tyrone McKillen along with Hilton & Hyland’s Drew Fenton had been marketing the palatial property on behalf of the Viewpoint Collection . Viewpoint, headed by Frederick Chin, took control of Shapiro’s portfolio on behalf of his defrauded investors.The sale ranks as the third priciest residential deal in Los Angeles in 2020.Built in 1936, Owlwood includes an Italianate main house with nine bedrooms and 10 bathrooms, along with a guesthouse. The entire property — off of Sunset Boulevard — is landscaped and features a pool and tennis court. Among its past notable residents were singers Sonny and Cher and actor Tony Curtis. A young Marilyn Monroe was reported to have stayed in the guesthouse for a time, according to Variety.A more recent — and infamous — owner was Shapiro. The former head of Woodbridge Group of Companies, Shapiro bought the estate for $90 million in 2016. By September 2018, Woodbridge was bankrupt and an embattled Shapiro slashed the price on Owlwood to $115 million.In October 2019, Shapiro was sentenced to 25 years in prison for a massive Ponzi scheme in which federal authorities said he misappropriated $36 million in investor money, lavishing family and friends with luxury travel, cars and homes. The scheme eventually collapsed when his web of companies couldn’t repay interest payments to investors.By the time he was sentenced, Shapiro had already agreed to pay the Security and Exchange Commission $120 million as part of a civil settlement, and his many Los Angeles residential properties have been sold off in the past couple of years to help pay back investors. [Variety] — Alexi Friedman center_img Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare via Email Share via Shortlinklast_img read more

Portsmouth harbor tugs train for Queen Elizabeth carriers

first_img View post tag: Royal Navy View post tag: Naval Base Portsmouth Authorities March 24, 2016 Portsmouth harbor tugs welcomed the opportunity to train towing larger vessels as Royal Fleet Auxiliary ship Fort Rosalie was on a visit to the Portsmouth, England.At 23,384 tonnes and 185.1 metres in length, the Fleet Solid Support Vessel is nearly 100 metres shorter and nearly three times lighter than the new carrier and her sister HMS Prince of Wales, but still considerably larger than any warship currently based in Portsmouth.Fort Rosalie was met by Serco tugs Bountiful, Indulgent and Independent just south of the Nab Tower – about ten miles from the entrance to Portsmouth Harbour.Bountiful, with Chief Admiralty Pilot Nick Randall on board, took the bow position with the other two tugs at the stern.The tugs carried out a number of training serials on the approach to Round Tower before bringing Fort Rosalie into harbor and mooring her at Victory Jetty, which will be one of the quays used by the carriers when in port.HMS Queen Elizabeth, at 65,000 tonnes and 280m long is the largest warship ever built for the Royal Navy and is due to arrive in Portsmouth next year.Fort Rosalie Commanding Officer Captain Gerard Patterson said: “The tugs wanted to practice the techniques required to tow a large ship. They got what they wanted and the beauty of it was it was a low-water arrival and it doesn’t get any more difficult than that.”[mappress mapid=”17775″]center_img Share this article Back to overview,Home naval-today Portsmouth harbor tugs train for Queen Elizabeth carriers Portsmouth harbor tugs train for Queen Elizabeth carrierslast_img read more

Frequentis lands MQ-25 mission control system contract

first_img View post tag: MD-5 Communication and information solutions provider Frequentis has secured a US Navy contract for work on the system that will be in charge of allowing operators to control unmanned aerial systems from aircraft carriers.More specifically, Frequentis has been tapped to provide the IP-based voice communications system for Unmanned Carrier Aviation Mission Control System (UMCS) MD-5 control station.The awarded contract is in support of the MQ-25A program that will develop the US Navy’s first carrier-based unmanned aerial refueling aircraft.UMCS is the system-of-systems required to control the MQ-25A air vehicle. In 2018, USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) became the first US Navy aircraft carrier to be fitted with a carrier-based Unmanned Aviation Warfare Center (UAWC) that features the MD-5 control station.“The Frequentis ICS-C2 solution provides integration into an IP infrastructure and meets both security and safety requirements for mission-critical tactical and operational command and control,” said John Wherry, Frequentis Vice President Defense Solutions.The company is expected to be complete work on the contract in March 2021. View post tag: US Navy Photo: US Navy file photo of an MQ-25 View post tag: UMCS View post tag: Frequentis Share this articlelast_img read more

KINDNESS AND QUALITY

first_imgKINDNESS AND QUALITY — Students in Mrs. Haber’s class at Midtown Community School learned about how Martin Luther King Jr. promoted kindness and equality for all! Pictured are Amarilyse, Shailynn, Ava, Bryanna, and Adrian. ×last_img

Officials Moved by Peaceful Protest

first_imgOcean City Police Sgt. Tyrone Rolls, right and Lt. Pat Randles shake hands with some of the protesters during the demonstration outside of police headquarters. By MADDY VITALELooting and violence erupted in some cities, including Atlantic City over the last week when people gathered to protest the death of George Floyd, whose last moments were on the ground, on his stomach as a police officer in Minneapolis kneeled on his neck.Ocean City officials were on high alert to ensure that people and property remained safe during what turned out to be a peaceful expression of marchers Tuesday. People of all ages, color, and gender, took a solemn and firm stand at the rally that took them from the Somers Point side of the Route 52 Causeway to the Ocean City Police Department headquarters.And for the day or two before Tuesday, when the community learned of a potential protest, businesses began to board up their storefronts for fear of looting and vandalism.City officials put together a game plan for all possible scenarios and also a way to cordon off areas, make sure there was ample police presence on the ground and via car and motorcycle, and also direct and divert traffic.Not only was the afternoon rally peaceful, but nightfall did not change the atmosphere.The marchers came in peacefully and left the same way, officials noted Thursday.“The Ocean City Police Department did an excellent job in being prepared to keep everybody safe — both the marchers and the community,” noted Mayor Jay Gillian. “The city and the department certainly respect the right of American citizens to peacefully protest, and that’s exactly what happened.”However, he emphasized that people had their fears after seeing how some protests across the country turned dangerous.“Because social media posts and forums had stoked a good bit of concern among the community, communication became an absolute necessity,” he said.Gillian said the communication and organization between he and Police Chief Jay Prettyman helped keep everything running smoothly.He said the two of the them, “worked together to provide regular updates letting people know about preparations and about how the event was unfolding.”And it appeared that the police welcomed the peaceful marchers at the police department.Nadya Lorick, 21, of Northfield, a Stockton University elementary education major, holds a sign honoring George Floyd’s memory.Sgt. Tyrone Rolls and Lt. Pat Randles embraced and shook hands with some of those who spoke out, as the protesters assembled in front of police headquarters.Chief Prettyman said he was “extremely pleased with our department’s planning for and handling of the event on Tuesday.”“The Ocean City Police Department has deep-rooted values based on a foundation of partnerships we have built with our community members and our local businesses,” he said. “It was only through these partnerships, some of which are decades old, that we were able to properly assess the needs of our community, as well as the needs for the public demonstration. Due to this, we were able to effectively prepare a safe venue for a demonstration that had such a profound effect on many.”The chief remarked about Rolls and Randles.“Two of our officers, Lt. Patrick Randles and Sgt. Tyrone Rolls, were assigned to this event, but were so moved by what they saw that they decided to address the group. Their words were heard, and their emotions were observed,” he said. “It is not often that you see police officers in such a human manner.”He continued, “I am so proud that these officers were brave enough to share their very personal viewpoints with the group,” Prettyman said. “Their comments certainly represent themselves, but they also represent everything the Ocean City Police Department stands for. For that, I thank each of them.”Protesters take a stand against racism as they walk over the Route 52 Causeway into Ocean City.The chief also sent a message to those who participated in the protest.“Your words have not gone unheard, and your signs have been read, but most importantly, your behavior was appreciated,” Prettyman emphasized. “Each of you contributed to an event that remained focused on the issue at hand and allowed for a very moving presentation as well as exchange of words that will forever have an impact.”Caitlin Quirk, vice president of the Downtown Merchants Association, chose not to board up her store, Bowfish Kids, which is located on Asbury Avenue. Instead, she put inspirational messages in her window.Quirk was a part of the rally and said she was moved by the protest, the way officials handled it and also stressed that there was no damage that she had heard of at downtown of Boardwalk businesses.“The city and the protesters came together, and I could not be prouder with how the OCPD handled the crowds. I was a part of the walk and the way that the police closed streets and directed the march to end in front of the police station was perfect,” Quirk said. “The downtown and boardwalk were left untouched and the protest truly had a profound positive impact.”Cape May County Freeholder Director Gerald M. Thornton remarked about how the protests were handled at events from the Wildwoods up to Ocean City.“It has been very heartening to see local police departments working with protestors to have important conversations, share prayers, and make connections,” Thornton said. “The photos and stories coming from these demonstrations give me hope that we all can work towards a better tomorrow.”Some Ocean City businesses boarded up storefronts in case of vandalism after the rally.last_img read more

In Short

first_img== Cupcake extension ==London-based Hummingbird Bakery has announced it has signed the lease for its third cupcake branch, which is due to open on Wardour Street, Soho, in late November. The bakery currently has outlets on Old Brompton and Portobello Road in London and sells a range of cakes, cupcakes, pies and cookies.== Campden BRI head ==Dr Steven Walker has officially assumed the role of director-general of Campden BRI. He succeeds Colin Dennis who retired in June. Walker joined the business in 1986 and was appointed director of research in 1995. From 2005-2009, he was director of the cereals and cereals processing division.== Outsider opens outlet ==American-style bakery Outsider Tart has opened its first shop in Chiswick High Road, London. The firm, started by two Americans now living in London, already sells its products at various farmers markets across the city, selling a range of brownies, cupcakes, layer cakes, pies and tarts.== Farm shop school ==Daylesford Organic will launch a cookery school at its Gloucestershire farm shop in September that will also host classes in organic bread-making.== Sustainable packs ==The findings of a recent report published by Datamonitor has revealed that sustainable packaging is an increasing consumer issue, with more and more people coming to expect it from products. Around 40% of UK consumers in a survey conducted during the second half of 2008 said that packaging design had a medium or high level of influence over their choice of food and drink products.last_img read more

Long Island Dumping Sites Target of State Crackdown

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Authorities identified nine illegal dumping sites on Long Island and in neighboring regions and issued nearly 200 tickets last week as part of a two-day crackdown on illegal waste haulers.The clampdown on illegal dumping of contaminated construction and demolition debris took place Feb. 15 and 16 throughout Long Island, Mid-Hudson Valley and the five boroughs. Twenty-eight truck drivers were ticketed and 167 additional tickets were issued for various misdemeanors and safety violations, authorities said. The operation included Department of Environmental Conservation officers, State police, the Department of Transportation, and Suffolk County police.Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office announced the results of the operation on Monday but did not clarify where the nine dumping sites are located.“New York is a leader in environmental protection and we will continue to do all that we can to keep toxic waste and debris from being dumped in our communities,” Cuomo said in a statement.The illegal disposing of contaminated construction and demolition debris is worrisome because they can contain asbestos, treated lumber, petroleum products, roofing shingles or soil from previously contaminated areas, officials said.For Long Island especially there’s concern that such toxins could seep into the region’s vulnerable underground aquifers, LI’s sole source of drinking water.The violations ranged from operating a solid waste management facility without a permit and allowing illegal emission violations. Ten vehicles were put out of service due to serious safety violations.New York State DEC Commissioner Basil Seggos said the two-day operation was the first of several targeted crackdowns that are in the works.“Those who break New York’s environmental laws to help pad their profits are putting our groundwater at risk, and threatening the quality of our health and environment,” Seggos said in a statement.Dumping scandals on LI are not new. Several people connected to the disposal of about 50,000 tons of toxic debris at Roberto Clemente Park in Brentwood three years ago have been convicted, including former Islip Parks Commissioner Joseph Montuori Jr. Aside from criminal convictions and political fallout, the scandal cost Islip Town $3 million to remediate. The probe led to the discovery of other contaminated sites in Suffolk County.last_img read more

Floyd L. Maines Memorial Arena workers left without hours

first_img“Like” Jacob Seus on Facebook and “Follow” him on Twitter. “Some might be eligible for some benefits there so they are looking into that.” Marion said that although it doesn’t help, for the time being, those workers will have the chance to work the hours they are not getting now. “Yeah, it is really difficult for our on-demand staff,” Marion said. “It’s not entirely lost income, it will be for the most part made up at a later date. You know the hockey season is still in question, and a few events have been canceled, but most are being rescheduled to a later date.” That leaves unanswered questions for others. “Many are working remotely, processing refunds for events that have been postponed or canceled,” said Marion. “We check in with them on a weekly basis to see if they are in need of anything to try and stay engaged with them.” For employees like ushers and maintenance that simply cannot work from home, the arena is trying to make opportunities available to help them earn a wage. “Meaning, they are paid for the hours they work, so when the building is closed, they don’t have hours.” Which then leaves some to file for unemployment benefits. “We have made available some online training for them that betters their readiness for events that happen in this facility.” Marion says most arena staff is part-time or seasonal. BINGHAMTON (WBNG) — The Floyd L. Maines Memorial Arena had a packed calendar heading into the summer months but for the time being, Marion said that it is a tough situation, but everyone at the arena has been understanding during these tough times and knows they are all in this together. “The events are not canceled, but they are postponed,” said Arena Manager Chris Marion. Some of the arena’s staff have found a way to continue working.last_img read more

City investment: City that never sleeps

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

NEST hires former Pension Protection Fund manager as deputy CIO

first_imgFawcett said: “We’re already looking after more than £1.3bn [€1.5bn] on behalf of our members, and that’s set to grow rapidly over the next few years. With this appointment, we’re adding to the expertise and experience of the investment team at this crucial time.”St Hill added: “NEST’s investment team have built a really strong, award-winning investment approach. I’m looking forward to working with Mark Fawcett as the organisation continues to focus on giving its members a better income in retirement.”While running equity and bond investments at the PPF, St Hill helped establish the fund’s smart-beta programme, according to his LinkedIn profile.Prior to joining the PPF in 2010, St Hill worked at fiduciary manager SEI Investments.He held senior roles including head of fixed income and head of risk management.NEST, a defined contribution fund, was established in 2008 as a UK government-backed vehicle for its auto-enrolment pension policy.At the end of March 2016, the fund had more than 3m members.The fund won Best European Pension Fund and Best Small Pension Fund at the IPE Awards in Berlin last month. The National Employment Savings Trust (NEST) has hired John St Hill as deputy CIO, a newly created role.St Hill joins from the Pension Protection Fund (PPF), where he was a senior portfolio manager.He left the UK’s lifeboat fund for defined benefit schemes in October last year.He will report to Mark Fawcett, NEST’s CIO.last_img read more